Saturday 30 November 2013

Retro Cabinet: Painterly Approach

I picked up this great little retro cabinet a long while back, and it has pretty much sat in our sun room all summer. All I really managed to do in the past year is give it a light sanding.


Being that it was just a cheap laminate finish, I didn't hesitate to paint it.



So, I lined my little paint tray with tin foil, and got to work giving the cabinet an all over primer base.


I taped off a British flag graphic on the cabinet and the sliding doors.


The red took a lot of coats and didn't really cover well. It was a scary pink colour for the first 3 coats, at least.


The blue, on the other hand, covered beautifully. Here it is with only one coat.


I went over the white with a dry-brush technique to get a painterly imperfect look.


The colour story worked well with my skateboard project, plus the size was perfect for that nook.


This also gave me an opportunity to display my vintage scottie lamp. It is just too cute for words.


Cuteness!


Ta-Da!

7 comments:

  1. Woah. Just woah. I love the white dry brush technique you did! What made you think of doing that?! It would have never occurred to me to use it on a piece of furniture in that way. It actually really suits the shape and feel of the piece and goes hand in hand with its vintageness. You hit this one out of the park. It looks superb in it's new nook.

    p.s. YOU'RE BAAAAAACK <3
    p.p.s. Do you have a secret lair under your cupboard?! Yeah, I'm a creep and spotted that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's where we keep the dead cheerleaders... Erm... Wait... What?
    all kidding aside, parts of Ontario are on the Canadian shield, which means rock. Being that our house is so old, and digging capabilities were different, we have a crawl space instead of a basement. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. It is about 3 1/2 feet, until you crawl into a passage that almost allows one to stand at about 4 1/2 feet. That is where the furnace is. Not sure what we will do if it ever dies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! Glad to have something to post, finally.

    ReplyDelete

Check us out on Pinterest and Instagram too!