Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Ottoman: Shabby to Bold

My first project is a beat up ottoman that I picked up at VV Boutique for $5.


As you can see it was stained, it was dated, and it just really needed some love.

This was a great piece to start with since its innards were in great shape; the webbing, springs, and stuffing was all perfect, making the job of upholstering it as easy as pie. I found some great graphic fabric at Fabricland that was a good weight as well, and used it as my starting point.

Once I finished with the upholstery, I added some upholstery buttons to add a bit of tufting to the top. It is not seen in this photo well, but it does add some dimension to it that was missing before.

In order to make this ottoman a bit more functional, I first added some height by using 2x3s. This not only gave it an additional 2" in height, but also added to the stability of the entire piece. Once the new frame was assembled, and the new legs in place, it was as simple as a few coats of spray paint followed by a coat of clear acrylic. The red was chosen to accent the sofa, and to offset the graphic print.


I am happy with how this one turned out. It is the first bold statement made in this room. Next mission, to put some artwork on those bare walls!!

***UPDATE***

The ottoman has been used extensively since I originally posted!
See how it is used on Desire To Insire's blog!

2 comments:

  1. I really love what you have done with this ottoman.. :) Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I really wish I had taken some process photos of it. The bold print and colour combination makes a big impact though.

      Delete

Check us out on Pinterest too!