Wednesday 22 August 2012

Chair-palooza!!

I am officially a dumpster diver!
Okay, so no dumpster was actually involved, but I did find these in front of a neighbour's house.
They were going to throw them out after saving them from an old hotel that was closing.
Unfortunately, the guy saved them, only to have them be left outside for a year.

I am excited to see what I can do with them.

This one is from around the 1930s.
It would have had a seat cushion and a back cushion, originally.

The wood is in great shape despite weathering the storm.

There are still original springs, also in fantastic condition, that will not only keep the new cushion in place but also make the chair comfortable.

*UPDATE* Mission Chair


Mid-century modern side chair.

Should be a fairly simple restoration.

The wood is a bit more weathered than the previous piece, but perhaps with a little sanding, I will be able to re-stain it back to its former glory

*UPDATE* Mid Century Modern

Another 1930s piece.

The seat cushion is missing. I mean, the cushion was there, but it was so water-logged and heavy, that we didn't want to put it in the car.
Plus, it had a bit of weeds growing out of it...

The wood (again) is a bit worse for wear, but we will see what can be done about that. If it comes down to it, it can be painted and turned into a real bold, dynamic piece.

The pièce de résistance is this last one.

It is mid-century modern.
Probably in the best shape out of the four.
The wood can easily be restored, the upholstery project will be the most difficult than the others, but will probably be the most rewarding.

I am so excited about these finds. I cannot wait to see what I can do with them.

I also have a chair that we found in the attic. It has already been assembled and painted, but until I find foam for the cushion, it as yet to be blogged about.
Stay tuned!

*UPDATE* Attic Chair


1 comment:

  1. GREAT finds! I'm so glad you saved them. The first chair reminds me of some chairs my grandparents had when I was little.

    ReplyDelete

Check us out on Pinterest and Instagram too!